On Top of Maui
Yes, sweatshirts in Maui are sometimes needed. That is when you are about 9,000 feet above sea level. Still had shorts on!!
This was the day that we were going to challenge ourselves with a hike. We have been on Mt. Haleaka in the previous 2 trips to watch the sunset. This year we didn’t feel like driving on the insane switch back road with all the other tourists after sunset so we went for a day trip. This mean you have to do something while you are there. Since my neighbor and Jillian has whipped me into shape the past few months I thought I could easily hand 1600 feet of hiking into the crater to get a view of the closest cone head.
The easiest hike ever was going through my brain as we started going down all these hills. It doesn’t feel to steep, the walkway is very smooth…….don’t worry at this point your mind is being brainwashed as hiking down the whole time…well is easy!
Everything is so barren. So different than the hikes we are used to with all the trees around us. You don’t really have a sense of where you’re going sometimes…….here you thinking over in your mind oh were almost there its just a little longer. But, those open spaces are deceiving. Well it could just be I’m not used to it.
Our Lunch Destination! The hike was worth it. Going to see different things and places in this world really opens your eyes to the vastness of our Creator’s handiwork. Isn’t he just Awesome! He has done so many marvelous things and yet our eyes won’t ever take it all in.
Silverswords, pretty much the only vegetation that grows here. We didn’t see any flowering. They can be 50 years old before they flower and once they flower they die.
That concluded our hike….well that isn’t true we headed back up to where the car was located. Even though at some points it felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest we made it in fairly good time. The best part was the next day I wasn’t sore!!!! (ok maybe not the best, but it did feel good to think I’m in some sort of good condition).
Isn't it great to be in shape? Those Silverswords are amazing plants. We enjoyed your pictures, but I don't think I'll want to walk in such a barren spot. Give me the lush rainforest anytime.
ReplyDelete