California!
So my dear husband travels around the earth for his work sometimes. As much as I’d love to go on every trip with him, my role and job are at home. However, every once in a while I’m blessed with an opportunity to go with him. Although I find sometimes travelling or the prepping to travel without the kids more work. I don’t enjoy trying to find places for them to sleep, I worry they won’t do well etc. I’m sure it’s a mother thing as I’m (almost) always more than willing to watch other people kids when they would like to get-a-way. We however were blessed with great friends and family who were more then willing to take on our 4 children.
Next comes the packing part. Funny how this typically doesn’t bother me either, but for some reason this time it did. My hubby of course can pack his suitcase in about 3 minutes as he does it so often. I however was struggling with mine. The weather forecast wasn’t predicted as hot as it really was, we were thinking of doing different things and you need outfits for all these different outings etc. So yes, I over packed my carry-on, but it still fit on the plane.
On the day of travel I was packing 4 more bags/suitcases for the kids. They needed school things, comfort things, warm weather wear, cold weather wear etc. I think I packed some of them more shoes than I packed myself. Thankfully the little guy didn’t need a bed, booster seat or toys as his hosts happened to have everything even the stroller!
As I was busy doing that, I’m also obsessed with having my house super clean upon my return. Something about that…I mean you enter each new lodging on vacation in perfect order, so when I get home I desire the same. So yes, I cleaned, scrubbed, washed and air dried all the sheets, dropped some kids off, came home remade beds, turned the garden (because it’s May and planting season). Sat down after that craziness and ate watermelon that needed to disappear out of my fridge.
The hubby came home a little later then I hoped, but we managed to get the little guy off to his weekend destination on time. Even with his poor confused look he gave us a nice wave and smile and apparently had a fantastic time. (Thanks to our host for updating me regularly as he was my biggest worry).
Once every child was in someone else's loving hands and I was in our ride to the airport I relaxed a fair amount. It was an absolutely gorgeous day back home and secretly I was hoping it would rain. Isn’t that awful??? I know! I just never like leaving our BC sunshine because it’s so beautiful when we get it here.
We made it plenty on time to the airport. Enjoyed a coffee before our flight that was landing just before midnight. We needed to stay awake for our drive to Newport Beach. It’s a good thing we had that coffee. We were detoured off the main highway and didn’t make it to our hotel about 1 am. Good thing the bed was comfy, though the first night I may not have noticed being so tired when we got there.
Well now the photos. Unfortunately in the mad hustle and bustle I left my camera at home. I can’t believe I did that. So these are off my iPod. Nothing amazing, but they tell the story.
Our first morning out after being filled with breakfast provided by the hotel. Not a soul in sight. Doesn’t this beach just look inviting!
See we are there! Put our feet in the Pacific Ocean and almost jumped up 1 meter. The weather was warm, hot and beautiful. The ocean was beautiful and icy.
We rented bikes for the day! I just looked up how far we biked. And without any return portions of the trip its 21 km from beach from Newport Beach to Huntingdon beach. So I think we biked 42 km that day! No wonder parts of me were sore!!!
See doesn’t this water just look like its ready to dive in? It’s so clear. Reminds me of Hawaii and just seems like it should be warm!
On one of the piers
Stopped for some Hawaiian Ice. 3 times we’ve been to Hawaii and never had Hawaiian Ice…..so we eat in California???? Yea calculate that one.
The first pier we walked on in Newport Beach
Took a photo of this school. What a place to go to school. As they play outside the beach is within 3 meters of them. Ocean view.
Eating lunch on the pier. Nothing beats eating so close to the ocean. Ok the top of Mt. Cheam comes in for a close second.
This is Huntingdon Beach (its all sand and all looks the same)
Back at Newport Beach close to our hotel. We had to have the bikes back by 7:30 that evening so we hung at the beach close to our Hotel before returning them and heading for dinner.
Curious what our dinner was….we ate at an Italian restaurant. D had authentic Italian and I ate salad….it was so yummy with chicken, pears and caramelized walnuts before you write that off.
Day 2 we spent on this catamaran.
The only time we sat inside listening to all the rules and regulations.
Selfies on the catamaran (we’re still learning)
This is why we were boating! Aah it was so amazing. We saw a pod of 100’s of dolphins. It was so fun!
They had a viewing window in the boat and so you could get face to face with these guys. Almost wanted to jump in and swim with them….until I remembered the chill factor of the water.
This is where I really regret not having my camera. There was a grey whale and her calf swimming out there. and yes, you can’t see much, but it was fascinating. The mom’s tail was all chewed up. They figure she was protecting her calf from the Orca’s and took all kinds of bites.
I just love the ocean. I could’ve stayed on the boat all day! But 2 1/2 hours was all we were permitted. So sadly we left. They handed us a brownie upon our departure. I think it was a way to lure you off the boat.
The rest of our day was spent shopping, eating lunch on the beach and in the evening we hit up Disney town. We loved it in Florida so we thought we would check it out in California. And it was a great way to spend our evening. Live music, great food and fireworks!
The Tropical Vacation was delish! I need to learn how to make it!
Sunday we spent attending some wonderful services at church. We even met up with D’s sisters friend. After being spiritually fed we travelled to Long Beach for my last night. We explored the area a little, but didn’t take my iPod along as my maxi skirt doesn’t have a pocket.
Last morning for me in California Beach. This was from our hotel room at 6am. (no sleeping in when you have an 8:30 flight to catch). The sights and grounds of this hotel were beautiful, but if you tried to sleep with the air conditioner running you’d be deaf…..a story if you want, but you’ll have to ask.
After leaving my hubby behind in Cali (so strange). Flying and driving home my kiddos all gave me great big hugs and took off to the barn at Grandpa and Grandma’s. Glad they didn’t miss me to much. Can’t wait for D to return home tomorrow so I don’t have to singleton the kiddos.
Looks so awesome ... I especially love the bikes.
ReplyDeleteProbably made you miss your cruiser?
Delete