Day 3 in Rome
What are holidays for but to sleep in? D had to be at conference in the morning on our Day 3 of being in Rome and so that left J and I with no alarms or sounds or anything. So we nicely slept in again! Not exactly until noon, but when we did wake up we thought........lets get going and see if we can find some groceries. Well apparently the closest grocery store was a good 20 minute walk away. We got there ok........but the walk home was a little brutal with each of us carrying a heavy bag of groceries and getting a little lost in a city we don't really know. We made it back on time to meet up with D who had the afternoon off. We should've stopped and had that Gelato though before we met up with him.
We than proceeded to walk to the Colisseum which was really only 10 minutes away from our apartment. Enjoy some photo's.
The beauty of it from the street a bit higher up. I'm not if beauty is the right word though. As its not really beautiful, its more magnificent. How in the world did they build such a thing in the 70AD. If we are inspired by it, just think what the Romans must've thought about its stature during their day.
J's s.o. is big into gladiator and so we just HAD to take photo's. Actually we would've no matter what. Here is one of the best ones that I took. We literally have hundreds of photo's just from in and around the Coliseum.
Just walking into the place........didn't know where to take the first picture....
Like I said this is one of hundreds and I just had to chose a few. I think blogging is hard, the photo book I'll be making on this trip will be even more difficult.
See how little D is compared to the structure of the walls. Just think we are only on the one floor.
Leaving the Coliseum. J looking even smaller once we are outdoors.
After a bite to eat from a street vendor we walked over to the Roman Forum. Once again we have hundreds of pictures of all the pieces of ruin and I think either you have to come visit to seem them all or you have to go to Rome one day :)
The picture above is of the Circus Maximus. As a Christian we often think of the Coliseum of a place of martyrdom. We read somewhere that actually the Circus Maximus is where most of them would've been killed. There wasn't much left of the place and we couldn't get really close to it either, but none the less it was a place that still made you stop and think!
This is probably one of my favourite photo's of the trip.......it just makes me smile every time we look at it. One of these days I'll have to convert it into black and white.
One of the many pieces of ruin standing in its majesty. A truly Roman picture I think. D was planning on putting this as his background photo at work. Not sure if he has yet or not.
The ruins in perspective.......they literally just go on and on. You can't see over the hill where there is even more. If were weren't so exhausted from walking already we would've stayed longer. But than again our brains were in over drive and you just didn't have time to absorb every piece of information. I think we should've really done these two events on 2 separate days, but a lot of the history in Rome is mind overload, so it probably wouldn't have helped that much???
D and J still had a "fair" amount of energy so we took the metro down to our station by our apartment and than took a walk to a Piazza and than to the river. It my journal entry I wrote that my body was never so happy to lay down and rest for a night. Don't worry every bit of walking was really worth it and it probably was a good thing for the other 2 or I wouldn't have seen as much as I did.









Nice pictures Carla! Sounds like you had a good trip. Did you get a chance to see the catacombs? I remember that being really neat to see, but I hear you on the overload, so much to take on while you are there!
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures! I remember never wanting to stop just because it was all so fascinating! I was so choked when I was in the Forum. My batteries died on my camera (I must have used them all on the Colosseum!) I'm so happy that you were able to see these amazing sites! Looks like you had a great time! Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures! Nat
ReplyDelete