Sharks and Rays

What a day!  The sunshine is beaming once again and the palm trees are swaying. Today was time to explore the ocean waters of the Caribbean. We jumped on a boat about 50m away from our condo and headed into the sea while the warm sun rays beamed down on us.  We arrived at Mexico Rocks a popular snorkel destination. First thing we saw....a shark. 2 came swimming up to the boat in record speeds and frightened me. I think I learned that I have a shark phobia.  Jumping into the water to snorkel after that wasn’t easy for me. I did it though.  Death gripping D’s hand the whole trip.
The company we snorkelled with.

YIKES


Survived the snorkel without any bites 






It’s a good thing I managed to miss the site of the next 2 sharks that were swimming close by.  I am however not afraid of rays....I had one swim less than an arms length away from the my belly. That was kind of cool! We could see lots of rays from the boat as welll. Some of them are huge. What graceful creatures in the sea. 
The second location we snorkelled at I relaxed in the boat.  Chatted to our tour guide and learned a little more about local life. Elementary school is mandatory in Belize. However anything above that you must pay for. The man touring us Hiel, was 69 years you d and has been doing things in around and on the ocean since he was 12. At 15 there were no tourists, by 18 he said some and now that he’s 69 it’s full of tourists. He did say he didn’t mind Sharing the island...they are super friendly here. 


Time on the water goes by quickly!  

We made ourselves lunch at the condo and then strolled through town for some fresh fruit....yum!


Pool side at our home was a little more relaxing...no sharks here :)

I managed to do a bit of homework on the palapa before heading back down the crazy streets of SAN Pedro for a pre dinner walk.....watch out for those golf carts!
Pre dinner snack was at Belize Chocolate.  Mmmmm the Mayan Coconut was sooo good.  Dinner next door was equally delicious. Bacon wrapped shrimp with a pineapple and cilantro rice along with mango snapper fish with oranges on top of rice.  Sooo good.  Completed that off with Caye Lime tequila cake.

Walked back to the condo in the evening breeze...
We decided to bake our Belizian brownie mix, but needed one more short walk to town for eggs (this time a full dozen).
Ending the night with blogging and baking isn’t a terrible end to our day.


Comments

  1. Caye Lime Tequila Cake must top Florida's Key Lime pie..... sounds so delish! Were there lots of colourful fish besides the sharks and rays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was pretty good cake...
      And the fish were great...even if D says Hawaii is better. Lots of conch shells :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A little bubbly

Trips and treasures

2021